At the very beginning of July, 2017 I started my blog. I was overwhelmed, to say the least. If you want to start a blog here is a realistic outlook for the first month blogging. I want to be completely transparent when it comes to running a blog because it can be difficult to trust the numbers other people are telling you. I have seen posts about earning thousands of dollars a month and getting hundreds of thousands of views, but that isn’t my experience. And I strongly doubt that is the same for many first time bloggers. If you are like me and want to know what a real first month looks like at a glance, then please continue reading. Here is everything that I have done so far.
My goals for the first month were as follows:
- Get my Blog Self-Hosted. Mission accomplished. CToSeas.com is officially mine. I signed up with Bluehost and got a 36-month contract, so I will continue to put in the effort for the long-run. This was the key for me to put everything else in place and was my absolute first goal. It costs more money, so if you aren’t sure you can have shorter contracts. Or choose to not be self-hosted.
- Apply for Google Adsense. Technically I did succeed in this goal. However, I have not heard back as of writing this so I don’t have ads on my website yet. What you might not know is that it takes more than just having a website to get Google Adsense. You need enough content on your website to justify them accepting you, as well as having that content desirable for ads to want to run on it. Do not think that you can depend on this immediately after starting. It can also be a long process.
- Get my First Viewer. More specifically I wanted it to be a viewer that was not my mom. Another goal down. Through social media, strangers have been able to find my very new website and read my posts. Some have even returned to my website, which I am very thankful for.
- Post at Least Once a Week. Done. I would have loved to post more but man oh man does life get in the way. Thanks life. I plan to post more often in the future but having a full-time job, and school to keep up with it is more difficult than I would like to admit.
As well as accomplishing goals, I have personalized my website’s theme. Uploaded all of my images to Pinterest, which I would highly recommend you do too. Even if it isn’t a steady stream of viewers for me it is still another way to be found. I have had a few pageviews from this although I would like to work towards getting more. I went through all of my posts with Yoast SEO and updated them in hopes that I could be found organically more than before. Also, I have many blog posts or ideas written in my draft category for the future, so I have more than actually meets the eye. I also successfully applied to Amazon Associates.
These are all positives. But what about the negatives. And I promise there are bound to be some negatives for your first month blogging. I was rejected from Google Adsense because I forgot to actually launch my website before submitting it. Big oops. So now back to the waiting game. This means my website has sat here unmonetized, and unable to make money on views alone. I am still unfamiliar with Amazon Associates so my links were broken, again a silly mistake.
Here are the statistics of my social media accounts and my blog itself. I know that the first month blogging is a slow one, but it can have some progress, I promise. I personally did not focus on Twitter at all, so no surprises there, but I was trying to work on Pinterest and Instagram.
Instagram: July 1 – 335 Followers. August 1 – 343 Followers.
Twitter: July 1 – 0 Followers. August 1 – 0 Followers.
Pinterest: July 1 – 7 Followers. August 1 – 9 Followers.
Pageviews: July 1 – 0 Views. August 1 – 100 Views
Users: July 1 – 0 Users. August 1 – 33 Users.
Google Adsense: $0.00
Amazon Associates: $0.00 While I have had some people click the links to the products I mention in my posts no one has bought anything, which I would have expected.
I didn’t expect any different for my first month blogging, but it is always nice to make a little.
Next Months Goals:
- Write at least one blog post a week. This has been a goal of mine every week since I started writing in January. As always I will create my own featured images for the post, and use SEO to try and optimize it.
- Post on Twitter at least once a week. This is completely new to me, but I can hopefully commit myself to doing the bare minimum of once.
- Post on Instagram at least once a week. I don’t usually post once a week, but in order to grow a following, it is necessary to be consistent. Also, I want to follow similar profiles.
- Gain more pageviews. I would like to grow my blog, so doing these steps will hopefully grow my pageview count.
Another thing I would like, however, have no control over is hearing back from Google Adsense, which is completely out of my control, but if there is an issue the sooner I know about it the better, and if not the sooner I can start monetizing the better.
So there you have it. A brutally honest tell all of my first month blogging experience. If you have any questions please feel free to comment down below or send me a message on my contact me page.